Sunday, May 19, 2013

Aphorism


"When you pray move your feet"-African Proverb
I really like this saying and try to follow it as much as possible. When I first heard it, I didn't understand it . The aphorism kept me wondering for a long time since I knew there was a deeper meaning. Then I finally understood what it was trying to say; you can't just wish for something to happen, but instead you have to work hard to get it. Sometimes, people pray to God or wish upon a star, but they don't realize that a fairy won't come out of the skies to grant them their wish. I think God or other supernatural creatures were not created to convert people into unproductive machines that just dream; they are a moral support for people to set a goal, start something, work hard for it, and reach it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't dream. You should be full of dreams, but you should be willing to make them true. 

I follow this often. When I am in semester exams, I study hard and review the things I don't know, and I don't feel safe until I know everything. Unlike me, other people just pray or wish they will get a good grade. In my opinion you can't expect God to give you good grades without you working for them. Another example is when I play an important tournament. I practice a lot for it. This way I will be ready for the tournament, and I won't need luck to win. Instead, I will use all I have to try to win it. This is the way I think, and there may be people that disagree, but I do think just praying will get you anywhere.

This quote relates to Joseph Campbell’s “Heroes Adventure” in one main way. Joseph Campbell says that to be a hero, you have to be willing to sacrifice something. Every hero has to work really hard to be able to complete his/her heroic action. He says "the adventure thet the hero is ready for is the one that he gets" this means that you have to be prepared to achieve something and you have to work for it. No hero has ever just wished to be a hero and has become one. Heroes undergo transformations and many sacrifices that make him a hero. In fact, Jospeh Campbell says "heroes go through death and resurections". The aphorism says that if you want something, you have to fight for it, you have to work for it, and work requires sacrifice. Obviously this quote is not only for those who want to be heroes, it fits for every goal a person has, no matter how small it is.